These are events the LGBTQ+ Resources Center hosts or co-hosts over the course of every academic year
- Lavender Orientation (typically in the first 2-3 weeks of the fall semester)
- LGBTQ+ History Month (series of events in October)
- National Coming Out Day (October 11)
- Trans Awareness Week (November 15-19)
- Trans Day of Remembrance (November 20)
- Friendsgiving (during Thanksgiving Recess)
- Mason Pride Week (typically in March/April)
- Mason Pride Game (NCAA game, sometime in mid-spring)
- Lavender & Women and Gender Studies Graduation (typically the last week of April)
- Pride Month (series of events in June)
Transgender Awareness Week (TAW) and Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDoR) 2022
Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDoR) is an internationally held event on November 20th to recognize and remember trans and nonbinary people who have died due to anti-trans violence in the past year. Transgender Awareness Week (TAW), usually observed the week leading up to TDoR, arose out of the need to acknowledge the visibility and advocacy work of individuals in our communities, as we remember and mourn those we have lost.
This year, for Transgender Awareness Week (November 14-18 at Mason), we are highlighting some trans and non-binary folks who are working to advance rights, be visible possibility models, and build community for trans and non-binary futures.
And on Thursday November 17th at 7:30pm
on Wilkins Plaza (moved to) in Horizon Hall, Rooms 2016 / 2017 please join the LGBTQ+ Resources Center, the Center for Culture, Equity, and Empowerment, Pride Alliance, the Queer Student Leadership Council, and Mason's LGBTQ+ communities for Mason's observance of Transgender Day of Remembrance where we will hold space to acknowledge the losses of our last year and spread awareness about the continued violence against trans and non-binary folks. Register on Mason 360 to get event reminders https://cglink.me/2d7/r1907765 (guest list is hidden) or check-in at the event.
Our spotlight folks for this year's Transgender Awareness Week are:
Marsha P. Johnson
Michaela Jae 'MJ' Rodriguez
Aaron Rose Philip
Kade Gottlieb -- Gottmik
Audrey Tang Feng